Monday, July 18, 2011

Crazy Rantings - Pet Style

You hear about all those people that have gotten tickets recently for talking on their cell phones while driving right? I know of several individuals who have gotten tickets for it. Ok, it makes sense.... It is an attempt to stop people from being "unsafe" drivers.... I get it.

But here is an even bigger issue. Why can a driver not get in trouble for having a dog chill on their lap while driving. Lets just go over a couple safety issues really quick:

Issue #1: Its a pet on your lap while driving. I don't know how much "not distracting" it can be
Issue #2: If your puppy is hanging its head out of the drivers window I would think that you lose not only your peripheral vision but also vision from your drivers door mirror (depending on where the head is out the window)
Issue #3: If your little pet happens to have a tail longer than your big toe I would think that there may be some slight possibility of getting "wagged" in the face.... I don't really have a better way to phrase that.
Issue #4: Since you are already in a pretty distracted state of things, do you think that when you get into an accident that your dog will get more hurt or less hurt being on your lap than it would if it were in the back seat?
Issue #5: I have heard of several cases where animal rights activists (or pet lovers... whatever) have gotten upset and sued someone over their pet getting left in the car while the owner went into the grocery market. I understand and although I don't necessarily agree with either party (depending on the case) Wouldn't it make sense that those people who complain about it shouldn't have a pet out of a pet seat belt? Because they are endangering their pet more unrestrained in a moving vehicle than the person who left their little friend in the car with the windows cracked.

I am actually pretty impartial most of the time with many of these types of things but I think that there are some major issues regarding traffic rules and regulations that are floating around.

I was told by an officer a while back (because I ask stupid questions all the time when I get pulled over.. and trust me it helps avoid tickets, I have done it many many times) That according to the law you can get a citation for drinking a soda while driving. Eating, drinking, cell phone use, messing with the stereo, and few other things are all cause for "distracted driving". DID ANYONE EVER MENTION PETS??????

No comments:

Post a Comment