Saturday, July 9, 2011

5 Day Uinta Trip Post 1 - Mostly Driving

So I must say that our Trip was a little less exciting than I had anticipated but we did, if fact, have some good times.

We started out on Wednesday a little later than we had anticipated but we got there by around 2:30 in the afternoon. We played around for a little while and drove over to Trial Lake and were planning on heading up to the Crystal Lake Trailhead. Well, there was some pretty deep snow covering the road about a quarter of a mile past the Trial Lake Campground. We didn't want to do anything crazy at the moment so we decided to make a new plan. We drove up forest road 401 and I can't remember for the life of me what the name of the turnoff is at the moment. Lets just say that this turnoff will eventually connect you with the Trial Lake C.G. turnoff. On this road we ran into some beautiful scenery. I saw what I thought was a small fishing pond but when I got out of the truck for a closer look it was just a giant runoff puddle. As soon as I walked over to the pond we started hearing an elk bugle. OH MAN!!!! just made my day, that is one of my favorite things to hear.

We continued on and splashed through some giant puddles in the road and plowed through some snow drifts until we came to a sign. Never having been on this road before we really didn't know what to expect. The sign reads: (right) Trial Lake 4 miles and (left) buckeye lake. Knowing that I wanted to reach the Crystal Lake Trailhead I opted to go right. By the time we reached the sign I had already put my truck into 4 wheel drive since the road was pretty harsh and there was all the snow. Not far up from the sign the river that had been running down the road got a little bit treacherous and my wife was starting to get a bit nervous. I put the truck in 4 Low and kept going up. Not too long after the shift my wife got out and walked up the hill a little bit and made it very clear that I was not going to make it. Since I had my little man in the back seat I decided to heed her warning and head back down the hill. (I still think I could have made it... but we will never know).

We went back to the sign and headed to buckeye. Well, lets just say that this lasted about 3 minutes. We were not going to drive to buckeye, there was just too much snow. We had the packs in the truck but we weren't quite feeling up for a hike. So we headed back out. By this time we just decided to head back for dinner and do the fishing tomorrow. It took us about an hour to get up almost 8 miles.

Ill post the next day a little later tonight, along with some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment