Friday, June 24, 2011

Snowy Conditions in The Uintas,,, Bummer

The awaited trip was upon us. My fishing hands were twitchy as I patiently awaited our arrival. The drive from Kamas was green with no snow in sight. "Those pictures couldn't have been from this week" I thought to myself as we made the steady climb into the mountains. As the ascent continued there were only slight traces of visible snow on the distant peaks. "FINALLY" I say to myself, "I can finally go fishing". Not too long after all this is going on in my head, we come across this:


And by "this" I mean the snow on the sides. The truck in front of us is my Father-in-law (and mother-in-law). Realizing that we weren't even to the turnoff for Washington Lake my heart began to beat faster, knowing that there was potential for no fishing or hiking. We drove a little farther "Washington is just around the corner" I said to my wife "we might get lucky". We came around the bend saw the sign for the turnoff almost completely covered in snow and then saw this:


"Well Sh**!!!!!" I say to crew. Looks like we aren't getting in there. You can see the stop sign on the left, that is the entrance to Washington and Trial Lakes. I was considering going for a run at it but after the first few feet I still wouldn't be anywhere near where I needed to go. Oh well, we are here, lets see how far up the road goes.




This one below is my 18 month old. It was around 85 degrees or so when we were up there so don't think I'm a bad parent for him not having shoes on :) I wrote his name in the side for fun, as you can see though, the snow banks on this side are around 4.5 feet high. On the other side of the road they were a little over 5 feet high.


Bald mountain definitely isn't looking bald at the moment:


This one below might be a little hard to make out but right about the center you can see the snow being blown from the giant snow blower. The snow blower is right below the scenic lookout that is on Bald Mountain Pass. just pat the "road closed" sign is where we were playing in the snow. from the picture you can sorta see that we were only one bend away from the snow blower. From what I can tell it shouldn't be long before the road is open all the way through.


On our way back down we stopped for a few more pictures. This one is right there just north of the turnoff for Washington Lake. you can see this piece of water coming out from under the road and then disappearing back under the snow. Spots like this are all over the place right now. Not to mention that there are portions of the Provo River that are well over the bank and just rampaging through the trees.


We continued down and took a few shots of the Provo Falls. Quite pretty although its rip roaring pretty ferociously. Its pretty but I think its a little more photo eligible when it isn't turned up so high:




I think the picture below is upside down, but oh well... I am not going to take the time to flip it over. This one is just a random little part that is flowing into the river right next to the falls.


This one below is also flowing in from the side. I don't remember seeing this one normally but it looks like it may have always been there.








That is just so much freaking water. It almost doesn't look like a fall. Its just a mass amount of water going down a hill. When it slows down a bit (which might be a little while) I'm sure it will be a different set of falls from what it once was.

And here are some other fun pictures that we took while up in the Uintas:











No comments:

Post a Comment