Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Firework Dilemma

I was at Smiths earlier today and saw that they had some new aerial fireworks (since they are now legal in Utah). They had a 15 shot, 5 tube launcher that said it would shoot the balls 150 feet high. Guess how much it cost..... $69.99...... Wait.... ARE YOU SERIOUS????

I did some simple math: From my home in Brigham City, Utah to Evanston, Wyoming is exactly 97.7 Miles. My wifes car gets 26-28 miles per gallon around town. So, lets round up and say 30 mpg on the highway. Now, fuel at Smiths costs $3.21 per gallon but everywhere else it is about $3.30 or so. So, lets pretend gas is $3.30 per gallon.

So, 195.4 Miles Round Trip @ 30 Miles Per Gallon = $21.50 just to drive to Evanston and back. Plus lets add in that I am going to want a burger and fries for my wife, son, and myself @ about $20.00 or so total. I can buy somewhere around $40.00 Dollars worth of spectacular aerial fireworks and have enough to set off that I can get completely bored lighting them and have to save them up for another day (or two). (trust me, you can get boat loads for cheap up there).

Lets Re-cap what we just learned: For $81.50 I can take a small 3 (or so) hour road trip, Eat, and buy 2 nights worth of complete firework entertainment. However, Smiths (and everywhere else) want to charge me $70 bucks for one, 15 shot firework.

HOW IS THAT FOR THE NEW FIREWORK LAW???????????????

Lets apply this to Cedar City, Utah.... Since I love this town so much:

614 Miles Round Trip @ 30 Miles Per Gallon paying $3.35 per gallon (since Cedar is a little more pricey for gas) = $68.56 Plus some food lets say it ends up at $100.00........ Then pay for your fireworks, lets say about $40.00.

So, for the price of 2 fireworks at Smiths, you can drive all the way to Evanston and get 2 days worth of fun. HMMMMMM, that is a tough one, even for Cedar City :)

No comments:

Post a Comment